Internet Security

Car Bombings and Hostage-Taking in Prisons Underscore Ecuador’s Fragile Security

Police inspect a truck that exploded outside an office used by the government’s National Service for Attention for People Deprived of Liberty (SNAI), which runs the jail system, in Quito, Ecuador, early Thursday Aug. 31, 2023.Carlos Noriega—APBy Associated PressSeptember 1, 2023 4:30 AM EDTQUITO, Ecuador — Ecuador’s fragile security situation was underscored Thursday by a

By Associated Press

QUITO, Ecuador — Ecuador’s fragile security situation was underscored Thursday by a series of car bombings and the hostage-taking of more than 50 law enforcement officers inside various prisons, just weeks after the country was shaken by the assassination of a presidential candidate.

Ecuador’s National Police reported no injuries resulting from the four explosions in Quito, the capital, and in a province that borders Peru, while Interior Minister Juan Zapata said none of the law enforcement officers taken hostage in six different prisons had been injured.

Authorities said the brazen actions were the response of criminal groups to the relocation of various inmates and other measures taken by the country’s corrections system. The crimes happened three weeks after the slaying of presidential candidate Fernando Villavicencio.

The corrections system, known as the National Service for Attention to Persons Deprived of Liberty, in recent years lost control of large prisons, which have been the site of violent riots resulting in dozens of deaths. It has taken to transferring inmates to manage gang-related disputes.

In Quito, the first bomb went off Wednesday night in an area where an office of the country’s corrections system was previously located. The second explosion in the capital happened early Thursday outside the agency’s current location.

Ecuador National Police Gen. Pablo Ramírez, the national director of anti-drug investigations, told reporters on Thursday that police found gas cylinders, fuel, fuses and blocks of dynamite among the debris of the crime scenes in Quito, where the first vehicle to explode was a small car and the second was a pickup truck.

Authorities said gas tanks were used in the explosions in the El Oro communities of Casacay and Bella India.

The fire department in the city of Cuenca, where one of the prisons in which law enforcement officers are being held hostage is located, reported that an explosive device went off Thursday night. The department did not provide additional details beyond saying the explosion damaged a car.

Zapata said seven of prison hostages are police officers and the rest are prison guards. In a video shared on social media, which Zapata identified as authentic, a police officer who identifies himself as Lt. Alonso Quintana asks authorities “not to make decisions that violate the rights of persons deprived of their liberty.” He can be seen surrounded by a group of police and corrections officers and says that about 30 people are being held by the inmates.

Ecuadorian authorities attribute the country’s spike in violenc

Read More

Be the first to write a comment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Internet Security

Taoiseach warns that US airport security demand for access to five years of social media activity is ‘unworkable’

Taoiseach Micheál Martin hailed US president Donald Trump as “a sensible guy” as he warned a US demand for access to five years of social media activity as part of American visa screening was simply unworkable…

Taoiseach Micheál Martin hailed US president Donald Trump as “a sensible guy” as he warned a US demand for access to five years of social media activity as part of American visa screening was simply unworkable…
Read More

Continue Reading
Internet Security

Obasanjo: Nigeria’s Insecurity Has Been Weaponised 

AFRICAN EXAMINER) – Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has described Nigeria’s prolonged fight against Boko Haram as an “industry,” noting that the insurgency has lasted far longer than the country’s 1967–1970 civil war. Obasanjo made the remarks on Sunday during the Toyin Falola Interviews, a conversation livestreamed on social media…

AFRICAN EXAMINER) – Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has described Nigeria’s prolonged fight against Boko Haram as an “industry,” noting that the insurgency has lasted far longer than the country’s 1967–1970 civil war. Obasanjo made the remarks on Sunday during the Toyin Falola Interviews, a conversation livestreamed on social media…
Read More

Continue Reading
Internet Security

GTA responds to viral video alleging kidnap and extortion of visiting Black Americans

The Ghana Tourism Authority (GTA) has responded to a video circulating on social media in which some visiting Black Americans claim they were kidnapped and extorted by individuals believed to be police officers. In a statement, the Authority explained that the Ghana Police Service and the Cyber Security Authority have begun full investigations into the

The Ghana Tourism Authority (GTA) has responded to a video circulating on social media in which some visiting Black Americans claim they were kidnapped and extorted by individuals believed to be police officers. In a statement, the Authority explained that the Ghana Police Service and the Cyber Security Authority have begun full investigations into the …
The post GTA responds to viral video alleging kidnap and extortion of visiting Black Americans appeared first on Ghanaian Times…
Read More

Continue Reading
Internet Security

Mono Protocol presale updates: how blockchain usability and chain abstraction are redefining Web3 crypto presales

Mono Protocol steps into this environment with solutions designed to reduce friction and make multi-chain activity easier. Mono Protocol recently passed its full smart contract audit with CertiK, a widely respected blockchain security firm. The Mono Protocol presale continues to see strong participation, bringing the total raised to $3.75M so far. Many users still struggle


  • Mono Protocol steps into this environment with solutions designed to reduce friction and make multi-chain activity easier.
  • Mono Protocol recently passed its full smart contract audit with CertiK, a widely respected blockchain security firm.
  • The Mono Protocol presale continues to see strong participation, bringing the total raised to $3.75M so far.

Many users still struggle with the complexity of blockchain transactions, cross-chain tools, and fragmented web3 experiences.

These challenges affect adoption across the wider crypto presale space and limit how people interact with DeFi platforms.

As demand rises, users look for the next potential big presale crypto that solves these everyday issues.

Mono Protocol steps into this environment with solutions designed to reduce friction and make multi-chain activity easier.

Interest in the presale crypto stage has continued to grow as the project gains visibility across the crypto presale list and broader cryptocurrency presale discussions.

Blockchain usability and chain abstraction are redefining Web3

The shift toward better usability is becoming essential across the top presale crypto market.

Many teams building in blockchain face similar issues: complex infrastructure, confusing routing, and high development costs.

Mono tackles these challenges by offering tools that let developers build apps that just work.

This direction supports the growing interest in new crypto presale platforms focused on function instead of noise.

Developers save time and reduce expenses because they no longer need to build cross-chain infrastructure from scratch.

The system manages routing and execution so teams can focus on product design and quicker shipping.

This aligns with trends seen across crypto ICO presale discussions as builders aim to create smoother user experiences.

Mono also introduces transaction fee configuration, helping teams generate revenue while offering users dependable execution and MEV protection.

As web3 adoption grows, this type of clean, reliable process supports the rise of strong presale ICO projects and helps shape what the community expects from a next potential big presale crypto.

Rewards hub that simplifies earning in the crypto presale journey

Mono’s Rewards Hub acts as the central space where users complete tasks during the presale crypto stage.

It includes social quests, referral steps, and presale challenges that reward participants with promo codes.

These codes can be redeemed for bonus MONO once connected through a supported wallet, giving users a simple path to engage with the presale process.

The clear structure helps new users navigate web3 interactions without confusion.

By making each step easy to follow, the system supports growth across cryptocurrency presales and gives users an active role in the process.

This approach has made Mono stand out among crypto presale projects that aim to streamline participation.

As users complete quests and claim their promo codes, bonuses are delivered directly as MONO.

This strengthens involvement within the top presale crypto market and shows how clean design can improve presale experience across the broader blockchain ecosystem.

CertiK audit complete

Mono Protocol recently passed its full smart contract audit with CertiK, a widely re

Read More

Continue Reading