Apple

‘A Fireable Offense.’ Law Enforcement Agencies Grapple With Police Officers’ Involvement in U.S. Capitol Riots

By Josiah Bates Updated: January 15, 2021 9:52 AM EST | Originally published: January 14, 2021 4:23 PM EST A New Hampshire police chief; a Philadelphia detective; two Seattle Police Department officers who traveled cross-country, to name just a few. In the aftermath of the historic insurrection that took place in Washington D.C. last week,…

By Josiah Bates
Updated: January 15, 2021 9:52 AM EST | Originally published: January 14, 2021 4:23 PM EST

A New Hampshire police chief; a Philadelphia detective; two Seattle Police Department officers who traveled cross-country, to name just a few. In the aftermath of the historic insurrection that took place in Washington D.C. last week, which left five people—including a Capitol police officer—dead, police departments across the U.S. have begun reckoning with the likelihood that their sworn-in officers participated in the rallies and rioting.

According to a tracker on The Appeal, as of Jan. 15 a total of 29 law enforcement officers or officials are suspected of participating in President Trump’s Jan. 6 rally, and/or joining the crowds storming the U.S. Capitol later that day. In addition, the FBI has identified more than 200 rioters who were part of the insurrection.

“[One guy] pulled out his badge and he said, ‘We’re doing this for you,’” one Capitol police officer told BuzzFeed News of encountering law enforcement-affiliated rioters. “Another guy had his badge. So I was like, ‘Well, you gotta be kidding.’”

“From my perspective, any police officer sworn to protect the constitution and the rule of law [who is] found to have engaged in the attack on the Capitol will be facing some very severe sanctions,” Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo tells TIME. “To think that there were police officers who participated in this plot against our country and this attack against our country, it’s heart-wrenching. It’s a fireable offense.”

“The nature of the threat is unprecedented. The threat is not just to the capitol or to the inauguration. The threat is to the government itself,” Chief Acevedo added of a recent warning from the FBI that further violent protests are also expected in D.C.—and across the U.S.—in the run-up to Joe Biden’s inauguration.

A day after Acevedo spoke with TIME, a Houston Police Department officer was identified among those entering the Capitol during the riots. He is expected to face federal charges and has resigned from duty.

Read more: Security Officials Face the Possibility of a Threat from the Inside on Inauguration Day

Acevedo, who is President of the Major Cities Chiefs Association, a national organization of law enforcement leaders, says that officers are allowed to exercise their First Amendment rights—and to protest in support of the president—but notes that there is “a very distinct line between first protected protests and violence.”

“There’s First Amendment rights but anyone that was actually inside the Capitol… that’s enough for termination,” adds Lynda Garcia, director of the policing program at The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights. Garcia says she was “surprised” to see “law enforcement officials turn on their own and engage in an act of insurrection.”

Internal investigations are underway in police departments in New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, North Carolina and Washington; members of the Capitol police department have been suspended amid investigation into conduct “that appear to be in violation of Department regulations and policies.” The FBI is also reportedly also involved in at least three investigations involving the Houston Police Department, the Los Angeles Police Department and the Bexar County Sheriff’s office in Texas. Two police officers from the Rocky Mount, Virginia police department have been charged with misdemeanors by federal authorities after being inside the Capitol during the riots. Those officers are currently “on leave.”

And as more rioters are identified on social media—in many cases due to social media updates they’d themselves shared from D.C. on Jan. 6— public calls for officers to be fired or held accountable for their alleged involvement are growing. Five public defenders in Kentucky are calling for an investigation into a Franklin County Sheriff’s deputy who posted on Facebook about how “epic” the day was going to be, for example. The deputy’s Facebook page has since been deleted.

Beyond those in attendance, multiple reports have highlighted law enforcement officials’ using social media or otherwise speaking out to express support for those who rallied and rioted. John Catanzara, President of Chicago’s Fraternal Order of Police Lodge, said he understood the participants’ frustrations. “There was no arson, there was no burning of anything, there was no looting, there was very little destruction of property,” Catanzara told WBEZ in an interview on Jan. 7. “It was a bunch of pissed-off people that feel an election was stolen, somehow, some way.”

Subsequent reports have revealed that the damage to the Capitol, which included instances of looting and vandalism, was far more extensive—as was the planning of many involved.

“If the worst crime here is trespassing, so be it,” Catanzara continue

!–>
Read More

Be the first to write a comment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Apple

Apple Music pokes fun at latest Spotify price increase

Last month, Spotify announced a new round of price increases for subscribers in the United States and other countries. As the price increases start to go into effect starting with February renewals, Apple Music is poking fun at Spotify’s drama on social media. Apple Music is also offering a free three-month trial right now…

Last month, Spotify announced a new round of price increases for subscribers in the United States and other countries. As the price increases start to go into effect starting with February renewals, Apple Music is poking fun at Spotify’s drama on social media.

Apple Music is also offering a free three-month trial right now…
Read More

Continue Reading
Apple

Trust Wallet integrates Apple Pay to streamline cryptocurrency purchases

Individuals can now buy crypto on Trust Wallet using Apple Pay. The feature is currently available in more than 45 countries. Such updates reduce entry barriers into the crypto and blockchain world. Trust Wallet, one of the reputable digital asset wallets, has made another step toward promoting cryptocurrency adoption. It has confirmed adding Apple Pay


Trust Wallet integrates Apple Pay to streamline cryptocurrency purchases

  • Individuals can now buy crypto on Trust Wallet using Apple Pay.
  • The feature is currently available in more than 45 countries.
  • Such updates reduce entry barriers into the crypto and blockchain world.

Trust Wallet, one of the reputable digital asset wallets, has made another step toward promoting cryptocurrency adoption.

It has confirmed adding Apple Pay today, November 27, on X, allowing individuals in more than 45 countries to purchase their favourite virtual tokens within seconds.

Notably, the new feature promises an enhanced experience for new and existing users. The announcement read:

Trust Wallet has integrated Apple Pay. Buy your first crypto in seconds. Available in 45+ countries.

Indeed, purchasing digital tokens has been challenging for newbies, with lengthy verification procedures, numerous account setups, and limited payment methods often discouraging them.

Trust Wallet wants to address this challenge. With the integration of Apple Pay, it aims to make digital assets more accessible than ever, as individuals can now buy their “first crypto in seconds.”

How to get started

Depositing funds in a Trust Wallet account using Apple Pay is straightforward.

Users only need to open the app, visit the ‘Fund’ tab, and choose Apple Pay as the desired payment option.

Everything takes a few taps, mirroring the smooth experience when using Apply Pay for day-to-day purchases.

Most importantly, Trust Wallet benefits from Apple Pay’s credibility and security features, which include Touch ID, encrypted payments, and Face ID.

That promises streamlined crypto purchases that don’t compromise user safety.

Trust Wallet expands footprint globally

The team confirmed that users in more than 45 countries can access the Apple Pay transaction option.

Trust Wallet is lowering barriers to joining crypto, which will likely make it an entry point for millions who have struggled to access the digital assets market.

Individuals in jurisdictions with limited options to participate in the cryptocurrency industry now have a swift and secure option.

TWT price outlook

Trust Wallet’s native token remained somewhat muted in the past 24 hours.

The alt is trading at $1.08 after a slight 0.09% uptick on the daily price chart.

TWT has consolidated over the past week after losing nearly 15% in the last 30 days, influenced by broader selling pressure.

Meanwhile, TWT has underperformed the broader market today.

CoinMarketCap data shows the value of all cryptocurrencies increased by more than 3% the last 24 hours to $3.12 trillion.

Bitcoin is trading at $91,480, pumping the altcoin space as risk-on sentiments surfaced.

For now, Bitcoin should reclaim the key zone between $93,000 and $94,000 to shift its near-term trajectory to bullish.

That can support steady upswings towards the $100,000 psychological market.

However, a sudden selling wave will see it retracing to the ‘new’ liquidity region at $85,000 – $86,000.

Read More

Continue Reading
Apple

Orléans community grapples with closure of EarlyON playgroup

Breadcrumb Trail Links Home News Local News Share this Story : Orléans community grapples with closure of EarlyON playgroup Copy Link Email X Reddit Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Orléans community grapples with closure of EarlyON playgroup The Charlemagne EarlyON Child and Family Centre is the second such facility operated by the Ottawa Catholic School Board in

Orléans community grapples with closure of EarlyON playgroup

The Charlemagne EarlyON Child and Family Centre is the second such facility operated by the Ottawa Catholic School Board in Orléans to close since September.

Article content

With a long-running Orléans playgroup set to close at the end of November, many families are worried about a growing gap in free early-learning programs in Ottawa’s east end.

Article content

The Charlemagne EarlyON Child and Family Centre, which operates out of St. Peter Catholic High School, has announced it will shut its doors on Nov. 30. The free drop-in playgroup offers learning programs for children up to six years old.

Article content
Article content

Story continues below

Article content

For Dominique Patnaik, who has attended the play group for three years with her two daughters, the closure comes as an unexpected blow.

Article content
Article content

“Everybody felt it because it is such a big part of our weekly lives, and it’s provided us with so much … that we all feel like there’s going to be a hole in our lives when the centre closes,” Patnaik said.

Article content

The Ottawa Catholic School Board said it made the decision to close the EarlyON program after determining the space was needed for classrooms to support enrolment growth at the high school.

Article content

“Families have shared how meaningful this program has been for their children and for their sense of community, and we recognize the worry this has created for those who use the centre,” the school board wrote in a statement.

Article content

The Charlemagne centre is the second OCSB-operated EarlyON facility in Orléans to close in recent months. Another program at Divine Infant Elementary School shut down in September.

Article content

Until now, Orléans centres offered as many as 57 hours of weekly English or bilingual playgroup sessions. With the closures of the two sites, parents estimate this will drop to just 15 hours weekly.

Article content

Story continues below

Article content

“We’re very concerned that there will be no alternative for a lot of parents and young children to go to different playgroups,” said Claudie Larouche, a parent who is helping organize efforts to try to save the Charlemagne playgroup.

Article content
Read More
  1. Bob Plamondon, an auditor and expert in governance, was named by the province to supervise the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board in June.
    OCDSB supervisor holding ‘town halls’ while trustees are sidelined
  2. In 1982, The Capital City, written by Christine McCann, became the Ottawa's official song.
    Deachman: Ottawa 200 just hype for now, needs more party
  3. Advertisement 1
    Story continues below
Article content

More than 1,100 people have signed a petition urging the City of Ottawa and the Catholic school board to preserve the playgroup, if not in its current location, then in a suitable space nearby.

Article content

Pressure on remaining playgroups is expected to intensify. While another EarlyON centre remains open nearby on Centrum Boulevard, Patnaik said demand was already greater than capacity, with parents lining up outside before programs begin.

Article content

Larouche added the remaining sites may also be less accessible for families who rely on public transit.

Article content

For many families, the Charlemagne EarlyON played an especially vital role because of its supportive staff, daily drop-in schedule and baby class offerings.

Article content

Twylla Hodgins said Charlemagne centre staff gave her the resources to seek support from a speech-language specialist for her granddaughter.

Article content

With a long-running Orléans playgroup set to close at the end of November, many families are worried about a growing gap in free early-learning programs in Ottawa’s east end.

Article content

The Charlemagne EarlyON Child and Family Centre, which operates out of St. Peter Catholic High School, has announced it will shut its doors on Nov. 30. The free drop-in playgroup offers learning programs for children up to six years old.

Article content
Article content

Story continues below

Article content

For Dominique Patnaik, who has attended the play group for three years with her two daughters, the closure comes as an unexpected blow.

Article content
Article content

“Everybody felt it because it is such a big part of our weekly lives, and it’s provided us with so much … that we all feel like there’s going to be a hole in our lives when the centre closes,” Patnaik said.

Article content

The Ottawa Catholic School Board said it made the decision to close the EarlyON program after determining the space was needed for classrooms to support enrolment growth at the high school.

Article content

“Families have shared how meaningful this program has been for their children and for their sense of community, and we recognize the worry this has created for those who use the centre,” the school board wrote in a statement.

Article content

The Charlemagne centre is the second OCSB-operated EarlyON facility in Orléans to close in recent months. Another program at Divine Infant Elementary School shut down in September.

Article content

Until now, Orléans centres offered as many as 57 hours of weekly English or bilingual playgroup sessions. With the closures of the two sites, parents estimate this will drop to just 15 hours weekly.

Article content

Story continues below

Article content

“We’re very concerned that there will be no alternative for a lot of parents and young children to go to different playgroups,” said Claudie Larouche, a parent who is helping organize efforts to try to save the Charlemagne playgroup.

Article content
Read More
  1. Bob Plamondon, an auditor and expert in governance, was named by the province to supervise the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board in June.
    OCDSB supervisor holding ‘town halls’ while trustees are sidelined
  2. In 1982, The Capital City, written by Christine McCann, became the Ottawa's official song.
    Deachman: Ottawa 200 just hype for now, needs more party
  3. Advertisement 1
    Story continues below
Article content

More than 1,100 people have signed a petition urging the City of Ottawa and the Catholic school board to preserve the playgroup, if not in its current location, then in a suitable space nearby.

Article content

Pressure on remaining playgroups is expected to intensify. While another EarlyON centre remains open nearby on Centrum Boulevard, Patnaik said demand was already greater than capacity, with parents lining up outside before programs begin.

Article content

Larouche added the remaining sites may also be less accessible for families who rely on public transit.

Article content

For many families, the Charlemagne EarlyON played an especially vital role because of its supportive staff, daily drop-in schedule and baby class offerings.

Article content

Twylla Hodgins said Charlemagne centre staff gave her the resources to seek support from a speech-language specialist for her granddaughter.

Advertisement 2
Advertisement
Article content

“I needed a supportive community and the Charlemagne EarlyON became that community for us. I relied on the staff and the other parents to be my network to support me and the children in my care to lay a safe, caring, empathic, and inclusive foundation,” Hodgins wrote in an email.

Article content

Orléans-West Innes Coun. Laura Dudas addressed the playgroup closure in a social-media post on Tuesday, stating she confirmed with the head of children’s services at the City of Ottawa that funding previously allocated to the closed centres would stay in the east end.

Article content

“Their short-term goal is to maintain access to these vital programs as quickly as possible by increasing capacity at a nearby EarlyON locations so families continue to have access to these high-quality programs and resources,” Dudas wrote.

Article content

She added the city was also exploring longer-term solutions to keep playgroup services in the east end and would consider proposals for new locations in the new year.

Article content

But, for parents such as Patnaik, the need to fill the gap created by Charlemagne’s closure is immediate.

Article content

“Even if another centre opens up in six months, that’s six months of parents having to pivot and trying to find something to do,” she said. “I think it’s going to have a detrimental impact. We need a solution right away.”

Article content

Our website is your destination for up-to-the-minute news, so make sure to bookmark our homepage and sign up for our newsletters so we can keep you informed.

Article content

Comments
You must be logged in to join the discussion or read more comments.
Create an AccountSign in
Join the Conversation

Postmedia is committed to maintaining a lively but civil forum for discussion. Please keep comments relevant and respectful. Comments may take

Read More

Continue Reading
Apple

The impact of iOS privacy on social media habits

The digital environment we live in is no longer what it used to be. Every click, scroll, and like leaves a trace. Yet the script’s flipping—same stage, new lines, and the audience can feel it. Apple’s privacy shake-up just yanked the rug out from under social apps…

The digital environment we live in is no longer what it used to be. Every click, scroll, and like leaves a trace. Yet the script’s flipping—same stage, new lines, and the audience can feel it. Apple’s privacy shake-up just yanked the rug out from under social apps…
Read More

Continue Reading