Internet Security

Woman violently detained by Saskatoon grocery store guard convicted of theft, assault

Share this Story: Woman violently detained by Saskatoon grocery store guard convicted of theft, assault Copy Link Email Facebook Twitter Reddit Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Breadcrumb Trail Links Local News Crime Woman violently detained by Saskatoon grocery store guard convicted of theft, assault Video of Annette Custer’s 2021 confrontation with a FreshCo security guard drew widespread

Woman violently detained by Saskatoon grocery store guard convicted of theft, assault

Video of Annette Custer’s 2021 confrontation with a FreshCo security guard drew widespread reaction on social media.

Article content

A woman whose violent confrontation with a security guard drew widespread reaction in Saskatoon has been convicted of theft under $5,000 and assault.

Annette Custer was charged in April 2021. Court heard during her trial that she put a beef roast in her bag while in the FreshCo grocery store at 33rd Street and Avenue C North, then purchased some other items and exited the store without paying for the roast.

Advertisement 2
Story continues below

Article content

Article content

Bystander Jade Acikahte recorded a nine-minute video showing the altercation that ensued between Custer and Cameron McMillan, a loss prevention officer working for a company contracted by the store.

Acikahte told the StarPhoenix she began filming after McMillan threw Custer to the ground  “with her arms still behind her back so she couldn’t brace herself for the fall.”

The video shows Custer at one point breaking free of McMillan’s effort to restrain her on the ground, then punching him in the face. From there, the melee moved to Custer’s vehicle, with McMillan throwing himself on top of Custer in the driver’s seat.

Although Custer was the only one to be criminally charged, the video drew condemnation for the level of violence McMillan used in his efforts to apprehend her.

FreshCo store owner Chris Fowler posted to social media the day after the incident, stating he was “beyond shocked” at the events depicted in the video and announcing that he’d ended his contract with the company McMillan was working for.

Saskatoon Mayor Charlie Clark issued a statement in the days following the incident saying the video highlighted the discrimination, profiling and violence experienced by Indigenous, Black and people of colour at retail stores and more broadly.

Advertisement 3
Story continues below

Article content

Clark called for work to address racial profiling and the “hard truths of the impacts of a colonial relationship.”

The Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations called for McMillan to be charged in the days after the incident and demanded the federal and provincial governments commit to funding an anti-racism initiative and mandating courses on Indigenous history in schools.

FSIN Chief Bobby Cameron at the time called the force used to detain Custer an example of how First Nations women are “disproportionately targeted and victimized.”

A lawyer for Custer had applied earlier in the proceedings to have her case stayed on the grounds that her Charter rights were violated.

Custer is to be sentenced at a hearing scheduled for Sept. 25.

Recommended from Editorial

  1. Evan Penner's lawyer Eleanore Sunchild speaks about the incident captured on video July 4 during a media conference outside the FSIN office. Photo taken in Saskatoon, SK on Thursday, July 9, 2src2src.

    ‘Video itself says more than enough,’ says Evan Penner’s lawyer after police describe incident to board

  2. Sherri Penner (left) speaks alongside FSIN Chief Bobby Cameron about the incident captured on video July 4 of her son Evan Penner being punched and tasered during his arrest by Saskatoon police officers during a media conference outside the FSIN office. Photo taken in Saskatoon, SK on Thursday, July 9, 2src2src.

    Man shown in violent arrest video tried to disarm officer: Police chief

The Saskatoon StarPhoenix has created an Afternoon Headlines newsletter that can be delivered daily to your inbox to help make sure you are up to date with the most vital news of the day. Click here to subscribe.

Article content

Comments

Postmedia is committed to maintaining a lively but civil forum for discussion and encourage all readers to share their views on our articles. Comments may take up to an hour for moderation before appearing on the site. We ask you to keep your comments relevant and respectful. We have enabled email notifications—you will now receive an email if you receive a reply to your comment, there is an update to a comment thread you follow or if a user you follow comments. Visit our Community Guidelines for more information and details on how to adjust your email settings.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

To contribute to the conversation, you need to be logged in. If you are not yet registered, create your account now – it’s FREE.

Login/Create an Account Subscribe for Unlimited Online Access

Join the Conversation

Latest National Stories

    Advertisement 1
    Story continues below

    This Week in Flyers

    Article content

    A woman whose violent confrontation with a security guard drew widespread reaction in Saskatoon has been convicted of theft under $5,000 and assault.

    Annette Custer was charged in April 2021. Court heard during her trial that she put a beef roast in her bag while in the FreshCo grocery store at 33rd Street and Avenue C North, then purchased some other items and exited the store without paying for the roast.

    Advertisement 2
    Story continues below

    Article content

    Article content

    Bystander Jade Acikahte recorded a nine-minute video showing the altercation that ensued between Custer and Cameron McMillan, a loss prevention officer working for a company contracted by the store.

    Acikahte told the StarPhoenix she began filming after McMillan threw Custer to the ground  “with her arms still behind her back so she couldn’t brace herself for the fall.”

    The video shows Custer at one point breaking free of McMillan’s effort to restrain her on the ground, then punching him in the face. From there, the melee moved to Custer’s vehicle, with McMillan throwing himself on top of Custer in the driver’s seat.

    Although Custer was the only one to be criminally charged, the video drew condemnation for the level of violence McMillan used in his efforts to apprehend her.

    FreshCo store owner Chris Fowler posted to social media the day after the incident, stating he was “beyond shocked” at the events depicted in the video and announcing that he’d ended his contract with the company McMillan was working for.

    Saskatoon Mayor Charlie Clark issued a statement in the days following the incident saying the video highlighted the discrimination, profiling and violence experienced by Indigenous, Black and people of colour at retail stores and more broadly.

    Advertisement 3
    Story continues below

    Article content

    Clark called for work to address racial profiling and the “hard truths of the impacts of a colonial relationship.”

    The Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations called for McMillan to be charged in the days after the incident and demanded the federal and provincial governments commit to funding an anti-racism initiative and mandating courses on Indigenous history in schools.

    FSIN Chief Bobby Cameron at the time called the force used to detain Custer an example of how First Nations women are “disproportionately targeted and victimized.”

    A lawyer for Custer had applied earlier in the proceedings to have her case stayed on the grounds that her Charter rights were violated.

    Custer is to be sentenced at a hearing scheduled for Sept. 25.

    Recommended from Editorial

    1. Evan Penner's lawyer Eleanore Sunchild speaks about the incident captured on video July 4 during a media conference outside the FSIN office. Photo taken in Saskatoon, SK on Thursday, July 9, 2src2src.

      ‘Video itself says more than enough,’ says Evan Penner’s lawyer after police describe incident to board

    2. Sherri Penner (left) speaks alongside FSIN Chief Bobby Cameron about the incident captured on video July 4 of her son Evan Penner being punched and tasered during his arrest by Saskatoon police officers during a media conference outside the FSIN office. Photo taken in Saskatoon, SK on Thursday, July 9, 2src2src.

      Man shown in violent arrest video tried to disarm officer: Police chief

    The Saskatoon StarPhoenix has created an Afternoon Headlines newsletter that can be delivered daily to your inbox to help make sure you are up to date with the most vital news of the day. Click here to subscribe.

    The Saskatoon StarPhoenix has created an Afternoon Headlines newsletter that can be delivered daily to your inbox to help make sure you are up to date with the most vital news of the day. Click here to subscribe.

    Article content

    Comments

    Postmedia is committed to maintaining a lively but civil forum for discussion and encourage all readers to share their views on our articles. Comments may take up to an hour for moderation before appearing on the site. We ask you to keep your comments relevant and respectful. We have enabled email notifications—you will now receive an email if you receive a reply to your comment, there is an update to a comment thread you follow or if a user you follow comments. Visit our Community Guidelines for more information and details on how to adjust your email settings.

    SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

    To contribute to the conversation, you need to be logged in. If you are not yet registered, create your account now – it’s FREE.

    Login/Create an Account Subscribe for Unlimited Online Access

    Join the Conversation

    Latest National Stories

      Advertisement 1
      Story continues below

      This Week in Flyers

      Read More

      Be the first to write a comment.

      Leave a Reply

      Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

      Internet Security

      Strategy’s Bitcoin-Backed STRC Outperforms Tech Stocks on Risk-Adjusted Returns

      Strategy Inc.’s bitcoin-backed preferred equity STRC crossed a notable milestone this week after Chairman Michael Saylor announced the instrument had delivered one of the strongest risk-adjusted performance metrics in the market. Saylor Promotes STRC as Digital Credit With Sharpe Ratio Over 3 Strategy Inc. issued the preferred security STRC—short for Strategy Inc…

      Strategy Inc.’s bitcoin-backed preferred equity STRC crossed a notable milestone this week after Chairman Michael Saylor announced the instrument had delivered one of the strongest risk-adjusted performance metrics in the market. Saylor Promotes STRC as Digital Credit With Sharpe Ratio Over 3 Strategy Inc. issued the preferred security STRC—short for Strategy Inc…
      Read More

      Continue Reading
      Internet Security

      One of two women leaders: PM Kamla at US Security Summit | News Extra | trinidadexpress.com

      UNITED STATES President Donald Trump has announced that a new ‘Security Initiative’ in the Western Hemisphere would be a focal point at The Shield of the Americas Summit tomorrow. In a social media post yesterday, Trump disclosed this as he informed that he dismissed Kristi Noem as US Secretary for Homeland Security and designated her

      UNITED STATES President Donald Trump has announced that a new ‘Security Initiative’ in the Western Hemisphere would be a focal point at The Shield of the Americas Summit tomorrow. In a social media post yesterday, Trump disclosed this as he informed that he dismissed Kristi Noem as US Secretary for Homeland Security and designated her
      Read More

      Continue Reading
      Internet Security

      The firing of Kristi Noem, briefly explained

      This story appeared in The Logoff, a daily newsletter that helps you stay informed about the Trump administration without letting political news take over your life. Subscribe here. Welcome to The Logoff: Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem is out of a job. What happened? Noem was fired on Thursday in a social media post by President Donald

      This story appeared in The Logoff, a daily newsletter that helps you stay informed about the Trump administration without letting political news take over your life. Subscribe here. Welcome to The Logoff: Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem is out of a job. What happened? Noem was fired on Thursday in a social media post by President Donald [……
      Read More

      Continue Reading
      Internet Security

      US Treasury Sanctions IRGC-Linked Digital Asset Exchanges

      OFAC sanctions senior Iranian security figures, Babak Zanjani, and two UK-registered crypto exchanges for aiding the IRGC and human rights abuses. The U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) announced on January 30, 2026 in Washington the designation of Iran’s Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni Kalagari and multiple Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps

      OFAC sanctions senior Iranian security figures, Babak Zanjani, and two UK-registered crypto exchanges for aiding the IRGC and human rights abuses. The U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) announced on January 30, 2026 in Washington the designation of Iran’s Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni Kalagari and multiple Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps [……
      Read More

      Continue Reading