Internet Security

White House rejects parts of Trump advisers’ sovereign wealth fund proposal

Key Takeaways The White House has rejected parts of a sovereign wealth fund proposal created by Trump’s advisers. The details of the sovereign wealth fund are still under debate with no final decisions announced yet. Share this article The White House has opposed certain elements of a sovereign wealth fund proposal developed by Treasury Secretary

Key Takeaways

  • The White House has rejected parts of a sovereign wealth fund proposal created by Trump’s advisers.
  • The details of the sovereign wealth fund are still under debate with no final decisions announced yet.

Share this article

The White House has opposed certain elements of a sovereign wealth fund proposal developed by Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent and Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick at President Trump’s request, according to a new report from CBS News.

The plan, reportedly delivered by early May, follows Trump’s February executive order directing the Treasury and Commerce departments to develop a framework for a US sovereign wealth fund within 90 days.

The order fueled speculation that the fund might be used to acquire Bitcoin on behalf of the US government.

However, at the time, Bessent and Lutnick said that the fund would indeed focus on warrants, equity, and other non-crypto investments. Still, David Sacks, Trump’s crypto czar, indicated that Bitcoin could be included in the fund’s portfolio.

That no longer appears to be the case after Trump signed a separate executive order establishing a strategic Bitcoin reserve and a digital asset stockpile on March 6, which suggests a standalone approach to crypto holdings.

There were also rumors that the fund might be financed through tariffs and other revenue sources despite ongoing budget deficits. But Lutnick later clarified that tariffs would not be used to support the sovereign wealth fund.

According to the CBS News report, White House spokesperson Kush Desai said the Treasury and Commerce Departments have developed plans in response to Trump’s directive, but no final decisions have been made.

The administration, Desai added, continues to view the initiative as part of its broader effort to safeguard national and economic security.

Details of the fund’s structure and purpose remain under discussion, with no formal announcement expected in the near term.

Sources say Trump has not yet decided how the fund’s proceeds would be used, though he has previously floated the idea of it taking a stake in TikTok, which faces a potential US ban unless ByteDance divests.

Regarding the US Strategic Bitcoin Reserve and the Digital Asset Stockpile, Bessent and Lutnick are also tasked with outlining operational guidelines, custody frameworks, and acquisition strategies. These plans are expected to remain separate from the sovereign wealth fund initiative and are designed to be budget-neutral.

Share this article

?xml>?xml>?xml>
Read More

Be the first to write a comment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Internet Security

Stay Safe Online This Holiday With Up to 50% Off Webroot’s Cybersecurity Plans

It may be the season of giving, but there are things you don’t always want to receive. A computer virus is one of them. Unfortunately, cybercriminals don’t take breaks for the holidays, which means you need to do everything in your power to protect yourself against these perpetual naughty listers. Cybersecurity software is the easiest

It may be the season of giving, but there are things you don’t always want to receive. A computer virus is one of them. Unfortunately, cybercriminals don’t take breaks for the holidays, which means you need to do everything in your power to protect yourself against these perpetual naughty listers. Cybersecurity software is the easiest way to ensure you and your family stay safe online, and Webroot is a solid all-in-one software option. See more info below and how to save big before New Year’s Day on this cybersecurity option.

Get Half Off Webroot’s Total Protection Cybersecurity Plan

Right now, new customers can grab a Webroot subscription for up to 50% off. Whether you’re looking to keep the brand-new laptop you plan to get free from malware with a basic antivirus plan, or you want to protect all your family’s devices from viruses, data breaches, and more with Webroot’s Total Protection plan, it’s the best time to save. These deals only lasts until the ball drops, ringing in the New Year, so grab a discounted plan while you still can.

Although IGN hasn’t reviewed this cybersecurity software, our friends at PCMag gave it a “Good” review score earlier this year for Webroot’s Total Protection plan.

What’s Covered in the Webroot Total Protection Plan?

A data breach, phishing email, or malicious download could wreak havoc on your devices or, worse, your identity. Webroot is there to keep you safe from it all, bringing peace of mind even when you slip up and end up somewhere not-too-great online. Webroot’s Total Protection plan provides the most comprehensive coverage, and plans for new customers start at just $89.99 for the first year, thanks to that hefty 50% discount. Below is everything covered if you opt for Total Protection:

1. Antivirus Protection

  • Faster scans than competitors with less software bloat
  • Web Threat Shield and text scam detection to prevent you from visiting malicious

Read More

Continue Reading
Internet Security

Hyundai Group hit by Bitcoin bomb email as police probe copycat extortion

The rise in bomb threats against major corporations highlights growing cybersecurity challenges and the need for enhanced digital defenses. The post Hyundai Group hit by Bitcoin bomb email as police probe copycat extortion appeared first on Crypto Briefing…

The rise in bomb threats against major corporations highlights growing cybersecurity challenges and the need for enhanced digital defenses.
The post Hyundai Group hit by Bitcoin bomb email as police probe copycat extortion appeared first on Crypto Briefing…
Read More

Continue Reading
Internet Security

Over 25,000 FortiCloud SSO devices exposed to remote attacks

Internet security watchdog Shadowserver has found over 25,000 Fortinet devices exposed online with FortiCloud SSO enabled, amid ongoing attacks targeting a critical authentication bypass vulnerability. …

Internet security watchdog Shadowserver has found over 25,000 Fortinet devices exposed online with FortiCloud SSO enabled, amid ongoing attacks targeting a critical authentication bypass vulnerability. …
Read More

Continue Reading
Internet Security

Taoiseach warns that US airport security demand for access to five years of social media activity is ‘unworkable’

Taoiseach Micheál Martin hailed US president Donald Trump as “a sensible guy” as he warned a US demand for access to five years of social media activity as part of American visa screening was simply unworkable…

Taoiseach Micheál Martin hailed US president Donald Trump as “a sensible guy” as he warned a US demand for access to five years of social media activity as part of American visa screening was simply unworkable…
Read More

Continue Reading