Internet Security

Woman violently detained by Saskatoon grocery store guard convicted of theft, assault

Share this Story: Woman violently detained by Saskatoon grocery store guard convicted of theft, assault Copy Link Email Facebook Twitter Reddit Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Breadcrumb Trail Links Local News Crime Woman violently detained by Saskatoon grocery store guard convicted of theft, assault Video of Annette Custer’s 2021 confrontation with a FreshCo security guard drew widespread

Woman violently detained by Saskatoon grocery store guard convicted of theft, assault

Video of Annette Custer’s 2021 confrontation with a FreshCo security guard drew widespread reaction on social media.

Article content

A woman whose violent confrontation with a security guard drew widespread reaction in Saskatoon has been convicted of theft under $5,000 and assault.

Annette Custer was charged in April 2021. Court heard during her trial that she put a beef roast in her bag while in the FreshCo grocery store at 33rd Street and Avenue C North, then purchased some other items and exited the store without paying for the roast.

Advertisement 2
Story continues below

Article content

Article content

Bystander Jade Acikahte recorded a nine-minute video showing the altercation that ensued between Custer and Cameron McMillan, a loss prevention officer working for a company contracted by the store.

Acikahte told the StarPhoenix she began filming after McMillan threw Custer to the ground  “with her arms still behind her back so she couldn’t brace herself for the fall.”

The video shows Custer at one point breaking free of McMillan’s effort to restrain her on the ground, then punching him in the face. From there, the melee moved to Custer’s vehicle, with McMillan throwing himself on top of Custer in the driver’s seat.

Although Custer was the only one to be criminally charged, the video drew condemnation for the level of violence McMillan used in his efforts to apprehend her.

FreshCo store owner Chris Fowler posted to social media the day after the incident, stating he was “beyond shocked” at the events depicted in the video and announcing that he’d ended his contract with the company McMillan was working for.

Saskatoon Mayor Charlie Clark issued a statement in the days following the incident saying the video highlighted the discrimination, profiling and violence experienced by Indigenous, Black and people of colour at retail stores and more broadly.

Advertisement 3
Story continues below

Article content

Clark called for work to address racial profiling and the “hard truths of the impacts of a colonial relationship.”

The Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations called for McMillan to be charged in the days after the incident and demanded the federal and provincial governments commit to funding an anti-racism initiative and mandating courses on Indigenous history in schools.

FSIN Chief Bobby Cameron at the time called the force used to detain Custer an example of how First Nations women are “disproportionately targeted and victimized.”

A lawyer for Custer had applied earlier in the proceedings to have her case stayed on the grounds that her Charter rights were violated.

Custer is to be sentenced at a hearing scheduled for Sept. 25.

Recommended from Editorial

  1. Evan Penner's lawyer Eleanore Sunchild speaks about the incident captured on video July 4 during a media conference outside the FSIN office. Photo taken in Saskatoon, SK on Thursday, July 9, 2src2src.

    ‘Video itself says more than enough,’ says Evan Penner’s lawyer after police describe incident to board

  2. Sherri Penner (left) speaks alongside FSIN Chief Bobby Cameron about the incident captured on video July 4 of her son Evan Penner being punched and tasered during his arrest by Saskatoon police officers during a media conference outside the FSIN office. Photo taken in Saskatoon, SK on Thursday, July 9, 2src2src.

    Man shown in violent arrest video tried to disarm officer: Police chief

The Saskatoon StarPhoenix has created an Afternoon Headlines newsletter that can be delivered daily to your inbox to help make sure you are up to date with the most vital news of the day. Click here to subscribe.

Article content

Comments

Postmedia is committed to maintaining a lively but civil forum for discussion and encourage all readers to share their views on our articles. Comments may take up to an hour for moderation before appearing on the site. We ask you to keep your comments relevant and respectful. We have enabled email notifications—you will now receive an email if you receive a reply to your comment, there is an update to a comment thread you follow or if a user you follow comments. Visit our Community Guidelines for more information and details on how to adjust your email settings.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

To contribute to the conversation, you need to be logged in. If you are not yet registered, create your account now – it’s FREE.

Login/Create an Account Subscribe for Unlimited Online Access

Join the Conversation

Latest National Stories

    Advertisement 1
    Story continues below

    This Week in Flyers

    Article content

    A woman whose violent confrontation with a security guard drew widespread reaction in Saskatoon has been convicted of theft under $5,000 and assault.

    Annette Custer was charged in April 2021. Court heard during her trial that she put a beef roast in her bag while in the FreshCo grocery store at 33rd Street and Avenue C North, then purchased some other items and exited the store without paying for the roast.

    Advertisement 2
    Story continues below

    Article content

    Article content

    Bystander Jade Acikahte recorded a nine-minute video showing the altercation that ensued between Custer and Cameron McMillan, a loss prevention officer working for a company contracted by the store.

    Acikahte told the StarPhoenix she began filming after McMillan threw Custer to the ground  “with her arms still behind her back so she couldn’t brace herself for the fall.”

    The video shows Custer at one point breaking free of McMillan’s effort to restrain her on the ground, then punching him in the face. From there, the melee moved to Custer’s vehicle, with McMillan throwing himself on top of Custer in the driver’s seat.

    Although Custer was the only one to be criminally charged, the video drew condemnation for the level of violence McMillan used in his efforts to apprehend her.

    FreshCo store owner Chris Fowler posted to social media the day after the incident, stating he was “beyond shocked” at the events depicted in the video and announcing that he’d ended his contract with the company McMillan was working for.

    Saskatoon Mayor Charlie Clark issued a statement in the days following the incident saying the video highlighted the discrimination, profiling and violence experienced by Indigenous, Black and people of colour at retail stores and more broadly.

    Advertisement 3
    Story continues below

    Article content

    Clark called for work to address racial profiling and the “hard truths of the impacts of a colonial relationship.”

    The Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations called for McMillan to be charged in the days after the incident and demanded the federal and provincial governments commit to funding an anti-racism initiative and mandating courses on Indigenous history in schools.

    FSIN Chief Bobby Cameron at the time called the force used to detain Custer an example of how First Nations women are “disproportionately targeted and victimized.”

    A lawyer for Custer had applied earlier in the proceedings to have her case stayed on the grounds that her Charter rights were violated.

    Custer is to be sentenced at a hearing scheduled for Sept. 25.

    Recommended from Editorial

    1. Evan Penner's lawyer Eleanore Sunchild speaks about the incident captured on video July 4 during a media conference outside the FSIN office. Photo taken in Saskatoon, SK on Thursday, July 9, 2src2src.

      ‘Video itself says more than enough,’ says Evan Penner’s lawyer after police describe incident to board

    2. Sherri Penner (left) speaks alongside FSIN Chief Bobby Cameron about the incident captured on video July 4 of her son Evan Penner being punched and tasered during his arrest by Saskatoon police officers during a media conference outside the FSIN office. Photo taken in Saskatoon, SK on Thursday, July 9, 2src2src.

      Man shown in violent arrest video tried to disarm officer: Police chief

    The Saskatoon StarPhoenix has created an Afternoon Headlines newsletter that can be delivered daily to your inbox to help make sure you are up to date with the most vital news of the day. Click here to subscribe.

    The Saskatoon StarPhoenix has created an Afternoon Headlines newsletter that can be delivered daily to your inbox to help make sure you are up to date with the most vital news of the day. Click here to subscribe.

    Article content

    Comments

    Postmedia is committed to maintaining a lively but civil forum for discussion and encourage all readers to share their views on our articles. Comments may take up to an hour for moderation before appearing on the site. We ask you to keep your comments relevant and respectful. We have enabled email notifications—you will now receive an email if you receive a reply to your comment, there is an update to a comment thread you follow or if a user you follow comments. Visit our Community Guidelines for more information and details on how to adjust your email settings.

    SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

    To contribute to the conversation, you need to be logged in. If you are not yet registered, create your account now – it’s FREE.

    Login/Create an Account Subscribe for Unlimited Online Access

    Join the Conversation

    Latest National Stories

      Advertisement 1
      Story continues below

      This Week in Flyers

      Read More

      Be the first to write a comment.

      Leave a Reply

      Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

      Internet Security

      Taoiseach warns that US airport security demand for access to five years of social media activity is ‘unworkable’

      Taoiseach Micheál Martin hailed US president Donald Trump as “a sensible guy” as he warned a US demand for access to five years of social media activity as part of American visa screening was simply unworkable…

      Taoiseach Micheál Martin hailed US president Donald Trump as “a sensible guy” as he warned a US demand for access to five years of social media activity as part of American visa screening was simply unworkable…
      Read More

      Continue Reading
      Internet Security

      Obasanjo: Nigeria’s Insecurity Has Been Weaponised 

      AFRICAN EXAMINER) – Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has described Nigeria’s prolonged fight against Boko Haram as an “industry,” noting that the insurgency has lasted far longer than the country’s 1967–1970 civil war. Obasanjo made the remarks on Sunday during the Toyin Falola Interviews, a conversation livestreamed on social media…

      AFRICAN EXAMINER) – Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has described Nigeria’s prolonged fight against Boko Haram as an “industry,” noting that the insurgency has lasted far longer than the country’s 1967–1970 civil war. Obasanjo made the remarks on Sunday during the Toyin Falola Interviews, a conversation livestreamed on social media…
      Read More

      Continue Reading
      Internet Security

      GTA responds to viral video alleging kidnap and extortion of visiting Black Americans

      The Ghana Tourism Authority (GTA) has responded to a video circulating on social media in which some visiting Black Americans claim they were kidnapped and extorted by individuals believed to be police officers. In a statement, the Authority explained that the Ghana Police Service and the Cyber Security Authority have begun full investigations into the

      The Ghana Tourism Authority (GTA) has responded to a video circulating on social media in which some visiting Black Americans claim they were kidnapped and extorted by individuals believed to be police officers. In a statement, the Authority explained that the Ghana Police Service and the Cyber Security Authority have begun full investigations into the …
      The post GTA responds to viral video alleging kidnap and extortion of visiting Black Americans appeared first on Ghanaian Times…
      Read More

      Continue Reading
      Internet Security

      Mono Protocol presale updates: how blockchain usability and chain abstraction are redefining Web3 crypto presales

      Mono Protocol steps into this environment with solutions designed to reduce friction and make multi-chain activity easier. Mono Protocol recently passed its full smart contract audit with CertiK, a widely respected blockchain security firm. The Mono Protocol presale continues to see strong participation, bringing the total raised to $3.75M so far. Many users still struggle


      • Mono Protocol steps into this environment with solutions designed to reduce friction and make multi-chain activity easier.
      • Mono Protocol recently passed its full smart contract audit with CertiK, a widely respected blockchain security firm.
      • The Mono Protocol presale continues to see strong participation, bringing the total raised to $3.75M so far.

      Many users still struggle with the complexity of blockchain transactions, cross-chain tools, and fragmented web3 experiences.

      These challenges affect adoption across the wider crypto presale space and limit how people interact with DeFi platforms.

      As demand rises, users look for the next potential big presale crypto that solves these everyday issues.

      Mono Protocol steps into this environment with solutions designed to reduce friction and make multi-chain activity easier.

      Interest in the presale crypto stage has continued to grow as the project gains visibility across the crypto presale list and broader cryptocurrency presale discussions.

      Blockchain usability and chain abstraction are redefining Web3

      The shift toward better usability is becoming essential across the top presale crypto market.

      Many teams building in blockchain face similar issues: complex infrastructure, confusing routing, and high development costs.

      Mono tackles these challenges by offering tools that let developers build apps that just work.

      This direction supports the growing interest in new crypto presale platforms focused on function instead of noise.

      Developers save time and reduce expenses because they no longer need to build cross-chain infrastructure from scratch.

      The system manages routing and execution so teams can focus on product design and quicker shipping.

      This aligns with trends seen across crypto ICO presale discussions as builders aim to create smoother user experiences.

      Mono also introduces transaction fee configuration, helping teams generate revenue while offering users dependable execution and MEV protection.

      As web3 adoption grows, this type of clean, reliable process supports the rise of strong presale ICO projects and helps shape what the community expects from a next potential big presale crypto.

      Rewards hub that simplifies earning in the crypto presale journey

      Mono’s Rewards Hub acts as the central space where users complete tasks during the presale crypto stage.

      It includes social quests, referral steps, and presale challenges that reward participants with promo codes.

      These codes can be redeemed for bonus MONO once connected through a supported wallet, giving users a simple path to engage with the presale process.

      The clear structure helps new users navigate web3 interactions without confusion.

      By making each step easy to follow, the system supports growth across cryptocurrency presales and gives users an active role in the process.

      This approach has made Mono stand out among crypto presale projects that aim to streamline participation.

      As users complete quests and claim their promo codes, bonuses are delivered directly as MONO.

      This strengthens involvement within the top presale crypto market and shows how clean design can improve presale experience across the broader blockchain ecosystem.

      CertiK audit complete

      Mono Protocol recently passed its full smart contract audit with CertiK, a widely re

      Read More

      Continue Reading